Friday, August 17, 2012

Those Disney Details

Before I went on this vacation I read several books. One of them was about the hidden magic of Disney (the details). There were many that I noted because I read about them, many I noticed on my own.

It is significant in my mind because many of these details would be axed in most corporate conference rooms as unnecessary and frivolous. Walt Disney set the tone in his company by encouraging these extra touches and always asking the question, "great idea, but how do we plus it?" These costs are very real but Disney recognizes these short run costs as legacy makers, uniqueness, and ultimately long run profits. You don't see much of this anywhere else; hopefully someone is taking notes.

Here are a few details that I noticed:

These shutters hang off center because all brass was used for military purposes during the time period that this building represents and leather (which would stretch) was used to hold shutters.

Any fountain would do around the Aladdin ride but why not "plus it?"

Note the detail on this building which is a simple open-air gift shop.

This sculpture or gate is lagoon side near the China area of EPCOT. This is a fresh water lagoon, there are no clams or barnacles here but there are where it might sit in China. I would not notice if they were not there, but I did notice that they are.

This is the ceiling in Cinderella's castle. Note the detail.

The ceiling in Beaches and Cream.

These snow sculptures at Blizzard Beach melt constantly throughout the day.

These sculptures are placed on the end of these beams on a bathroom building in Animal Kingdom. Each one must have costed $50-$100. Again, I would not have noticed if they were not there, but I did notice that they were.

This is a few of any number of examples that i noticed. Put that kind of passion into anything and I dig it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment