Friday, July 4, 2014

Love the Ones You're With

This morning the first thing on the agenda was breakfast with good friends. We had a great time with Jennifer Kolb and her boyfriend, Matt.

They're both recent graduates and just starting out in life. They were fun to be around. 

Jennifer grew up as part of the children's ministry at temple when I was the Pastor of Education and Children. Her mom was in was in fact my assistant. She remains one of our girls favorite babysitters of all time. It was great having the opportunity to reconnect.


Charlston is a beautiful city. It is full of history everywhere you turn. Surly you have heard all about it, Rainbow Row, Fort Sumter, numerous historical sites.

There is even the H.L. Hunley. The first submarine to be successfully used in battle. It sank in its first use in Charleston Harbor and was actually found in recent years and is now on display for all to see.

Well, we didn't see any of that. We went here:




And here:


So that's how it is. It turns out my girls are not much interested in any of those other things. One day they will be, but not today. We will not go through our vacation hoping for another day - we will embrace today. I will love the ones I'm with. Today I'm with four beautiful girls: the love of my life, and three darling little girls; three years old, seven years old, and nearly nine years old. 

I love them with all my heart, and I want to do what they want to do. One day they will want to see historical things and I do look forward to that. But today they want to play in the fountain.  So, the fountains it is.

We came back to, you guessed it, the hotel pool.




This evening we met up with another old friend Barb Rabon. We met her and her girls and went to a Charleston Riverdogs game with them and some of their family and friends. 






As usual the game was okay. The girls liked it okay. But the fireworks were what it was all about.



A great day in Charleston.  

No comments:

Post a Comment