Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Special

I have to admit that I have never seen The Lego Movie.  I have, however, listened to it numerous times. All fathers who drive mini-vans with rear video know exactly what I am talking about. We bought this movie to for the girls to watch on the next leg of our trip. In that movie, as best as I can surmise, a prophecy says that a person will be identified that would rise up and lead the Master Builder's return. That person was referred to as "The Special."  If you haven't seen (or heard) this movie I don't expect any of this to make sense except to say that somewhere down deep we all want to be "The Special."



On this vacation I witnessed this concept both ways. Our first night at Disney we decided to have dinner at the Rainforest Café. I stood the a long line to check in with a hostess.  I listened as she told the lady ahead of me that the wait would be 2 hours.  She told her that she would need to be at the front of the restaurant from and hour and forty-five minutes from now to two hours and fifteen minutes from now to wait and respond when you hear your name called.

This restaurant is owned by Landry's and some years ago I joined the "Landry's Select Club." It was not free to join but did cost less than it does now.  When I reached the hostess she started into a similar routine until she spotted the Select Club card in my hand. She said, "Hey wait, You're next." I felt special.  I waited until they called some names and did not hear one of the names so I asked if we had been called.  The gentleman looked up my name and said, "wait you are a VIP - you should not be waiting for me or anyone." A hostess then promptly led us to our table. That is special.

Later, at SeaWorld, we were seated in the Platinum viewing area of every show. Once again we were special. However, I did see people who came in late to the Shamu show, who were also Platinum Pass Members, that were expecting great seats but they were all taken. They, nor anyone who was sitting near us when Olivia had a melt-down, felt they were special - although they might have felt that they should be.

I learned that sometimes you are made to feel special. Sometimes it feels like you are not. Truth lies in the fact that you are what you are regardless of what is going on around you. Any one who is in Christ is  a new creation and lives life in a different realm - it is the Kingdom of God.  The Kingdom is reality and within it you can do all things through Christ, you can rejoice in the Lord, and you do not have to fear.  That does not even scratch the surface of what God has in store for us - but that alone is enough to make you and I - The Special.

No comments:

Post a Comment