Saturday, July 20, 2013

Atalaya

We woke up this morning without anything much on the schedule so we decided to go to Hunnington Beach State Park. We stopped to pick up lunch close by and sought out a picnic place within the park.

 

We found a great spot in the woods.

 
 

 

 

Then this guy came along.

 

 

Ten minutes - One snake - Two spiders - and 92 mosquitoes later this is where everyone finished lunch. What can I say? I have girls.

 

 

We frequent Myrtle Beach because it is close to us. Each trip we try to find something new. A few years back we discovered Atalaya (Spanish for watchtower). It is a home, mostly in ruin, that remains from the gilded age. It was the summer home of Archer and Anna Hunnington. She was a world famous sculptor and he was the son of the founder and owner of Newport News ship yard. Between them I guess they had jack and lots of it - more than that, they seem like cool people.

 

A few weeks ago I performed a wedding in Newport News, Virginia which took place in the gardens of the Mariners Museum there. I discovered while I was there that the Mariners Museum and many others were funded and established by Archer and Anna Hunnington. It was cool to make the connection.

 

The girls loved sculpting just like Anna Hyatt Hunnington.

 

 

You may have noticed that I take few pictures of things - you can always find those on-line - I try to capture my family experiencing things. Sometimes, though, I just can't help myself. This place is very cool.

 

 
 

 

The girls were genuinely interested in this place and what all happened here.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We took the scenic route home and now it is rest time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment